Let’s be honest: Your classwork yesterday was pretty horrid as were your test scores. I think out of the 150+ students 10 of you passed.
Ten as in one more than 9 and one less than 11. That’s absolutely terrible. I gave the quiz to my 2-year-old nephew last night and he got 5 right. Did I mention he’s two years old?
The shaming shall continue…
If you want to pass this course hopefully this is a BIG reminder of your responsibility to the work. Your job is to read the assigned texts and be prepared. Your job is to have the materials and use them.
By not doing this you make my job THAT much more difficult and the class that less entertaining.
With readings – I know this week was a lot but you were warned and it’s NEVER that much. Just worked out that way for one week. I told you about it and you failed to deliver.
To those who obviously did the readings and engaged in the discussion – keep it up. You’re on the right path.
Continuing… If you haven’t bought or used Satire’s Brew in the blog – you’ve put yourself at a distinct disadvantage to getting an A on the blog and in the class.
Thinking about it… I even warned you about a quiz… and yet still 90% of you failed. Not very good at all.
So, here’s what’s going to happen:
1. I will not warn you about an upcoming quiz – but figure beginning week 6 (Film) I will give a quiz each class and will come from any of the assigned readings.
2. If you fail 3 or more quizzes, you will not be eligible for the exemption at the end of the semester. Remember that gift… I can rescind it if I choose. But that’s all on you.
3. The few students who passed will be given X amount of extra points on their 1st exam as a reward. I will post it here soon so everyone can see.
4. The quiz is a perfect sample of what the first exam will be.
5. However, after all of this– I am a fair and understanding person especially to students… I believe in forgiveness and redemption so, your exam will be Rodman’s book, chapters 1-4. 50 questions. Study. As in study. Show me you can do the work and this quiz/class day will slip from my mind.
Once again – after the exam there is a film screening and attendance is required. Those who skip out on the film will lose points on the exam.
I will post a blog about the film stuff due on October 20th later in the week.
Good luck studying and I hope what happened yesterday does not happen again.